Safe Prescribing of Controlled Medications - Online
Our state and community are in the midst of an opiate crisis, and the risk increases with the concomitant use of another controlled substance such as benzodiazepine. The objective of this activity is to review current national and state laws around controlled medications. Discuss current evidence of the benefits of opioids for acute and chronic pain and provide strategies for controlled drug monitoring in an office setting. The urgency and importance of this topic is highlighted by the recent mandate by the SC medical board requiring 2 hours of CME for all providers renewing their licenses.This activity does meet the SC Medical Board two hours in safe prescribing and monitoring of controlled substances.
The following is a live activity that is designed to help you gauge your basic knowledge of "Safe Prescribing of Controlled Medications" . This activity consists of three sections: a knowledge check, two hour program and a post-test. All three sections must be completed to receive CME credit.
Physicians and APP's
- Review important statistics related to the opioid crisis
- Analyze the origins of the current opioid crisis
- Be prepared to recognize the next controlled substance crisis
- Employ the CDC 12 recommendations regarding opioid prescribing
- Integrate risk-benefit analysis to prescribing opioids for chronic pain
- Set appropriate functional goals before prescribing opioids
Robert B. Hanlin, M.D., FAAFP
Vice Chair, Medical Staff Affairs and Quality
Prisma Health Upstate Affiliate
Physicians (MDs and DOs) will receive AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™
All other attendees will receive attendance credit.
- 2.00 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™The University of South Carolina School of Medicine Greenville - Greenville Health System (USCSOMG-GHS) designates this live activity for a maximum of 2.00 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
The University of South Carolina School of Medicine Greenville - Greenville Health System is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
- 2.00 Attendance
Thank you for your interest in Safe Prescribing of Controlled Medications - Online. If you have already claimed credit for the live version of this activity, Safe Prescribing for Controlled Medications, you will not be able to take this course. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact the CME Team at firstname.lastname@example.org.